As the year draws to a close, many of us are getting ready for the joys of the holiday season! It’s time for family gatherings, parties with friends, and relatives staying over. It also happens to be the wettest and muddiest time of year – a combination which does not bode well for your carpeted and hardwood floors. To save your floors this winter, we’ve created a list of the best things to do for carpet flooring protection for holiday season.
How to Protect Your Floors During the Holidays
- Ask Guests to Remove Shoes. To keep carpet flooring protection simple and effective this holiday season, make sure you let all of your guests know they should take off their shoes at the door. This simple request saves you so much cleaning time. To ensure that your doorway isn’t cluttered with shoes, have a designated dark-colored area mat for your guests to place their shoes down.
- Protect High Traffic Zones with Area Rugs. Area rugs and runners can protect the floor in high-traffic areas of your home. Hallways, dining rooms, or other gathering spots that garner a lot of foot traffic can benefit from a protective rug.
- Utilize Doormats at Every Entrance. Keep your carpet flooring protection as simple as possible by utilizing mats at every door entrance and exit. This prevents dirt and water from making its way inside, which helps you avoid scuff marks on the carpet or hardwood floors.
- Rent a Carpet Cleaner – or Hire Cleaning Services. This might be the best carpet flooring protection for holiday season – rent a carpet cleaner or hire professional carpet cleaners to do the job for you. This simple step will save you so much time and hassle, since this service gets out all of those stubborn stains like red wine, coffee spills, pet urine accidents, and other holiday debris. The cleaner you keep your floors, the longer they will last.
- Prevent Scratches with Felt Pads. Felt pads keep furniture from scratching carpeted or hardwood floors. You can place felt pads on the bottom of all your chairs and couches to ensure that your furniture doesn’t scratch up your flooring it gets moved around during holiday gatherings.
- Prevent Scuffs with Rug Grippers. Carpet rug grippers work like tennis shoes – they provide traction to carpeted surfaces, which prevents carpet flooring scuffs. You can place these under rugs or area rugs that are on hardwood floors to prevent them from moving around during the holiday season and damaging your floors.
- Clean Spills Right Away. Cleaning spills immediately will prevent stains from setting in, which help you avoid expensive carpet repairs. A simple solution of vinegar and water can get rid of most spills on carpeted surfaces – just be sure not to use bleach solutions or any other harsh chemicals that could damage the carpet fibers.
Get in Touch
As you gear up for what is sure to be an exciting holiday season, keep these tips in mind to ensure that your floors stay in peak condition. If you are interested in updating your carpet, laminate, tile, luxury vinyl, or hardwood for a fresh new look, contact Dublin Carpet today! You can reach our office by calling (925) 833-0165.