Hardwood flooring has become so commonplace in homes that it is just as popular as carpets in Bay Area homes. Many of the houses we see in San Ramon, Dublin, Blackhawk, Alamo, or Pleasanton usually have a mix of carpet, hardwood floor, and/or tile. It is critical that wood floors are taken care of to ensure they last for years.
Here are the steps to properly care for a hardwood floor:
Every Few Days
Depending on the level of traffic you have within your home, you should sweep or use a dust mop to clean your hardwood flooring.
You should use your vacuum to clean all the hardwood floor within your home.
Use a recommended hardwood floor cleaner and apply it on your beautiful flooring within your house.
Have the hardwood flooring professionally cleaned by an experienced hardwood floor cleaner to ensure the coating is still working and all the corners are fully cleaned. It is similar to having your automobile detailed every so often.
3 – 5 Years
Apply a hardwood finishing coat to protect it against spills and accidents.
As Needed (Usually every few decades)
You may need to have the flooring sanded and finished to fix various nicks, cracks, or other issues that have developed over time.
Besides the above maintenance care information, these are some items to be cautious of:
- If you have any liquid spills, they should be immediately cleaned up. Do not let them sit as they could foster mold and mildew.
- We recommend avoiding any cleaning products designed for vinyl, tile, or grout as they cause the hardwood floor to be dangerously slick.
- Area rugs are highly recommended to capture much of the dirt in high traffic areas.
- Utilize door mats or smaller rugs close to entryways in order to capture dirt as you go in and out of the home.
- Avoid using any type of wet cleaner like a Swifter wet mop or steamer.
- Put either carpets or floor protectors under the legs of furniture to keep them from damaging your hardwood flooring. Additionally, do not slide furniture around. You should always lift and move any furniture.
- Do not wear shoes that have spikes like high heels or sports cleats.
By following the above hardwood floor care tips, you will keep your hardwoods beautiful for many years. Please contact us today if you have any questions or need some hardwood flooring care tips.